Saturday, April 18, 2009

Beautiful Spring weather!

I transplanted red curly kale, 3 kinds of mustard greens, beet greens, sensopai (an Asian green), and spinach in mixed rows to add to our lettuce mix.  They are all fluffy-type greens which lettuce mixes need so they don't compact.  Fluffy greens last longer in your refrigerator. Planted more scallions, too, finishing out 4 rows (probably 120 ft).  I also transplanted about 200 kohlrabi plants. Bill finally admitted he liked kohlrabi last summer.  It's been one of those veggies he's made fun of for years "If you want to eat a cabbage stem, just eat a cabbage stem." I like them, so I plant them.  I hope you like them, too!

Transplanted some early tomatoes into larger pots.  They have blooms!  Wish I had a large hoophouse and greenhouse - we'd be eating tomatoes earlier than June!

Most of the peppers have sprouted and are getting their first true leaves.  Tomato seeds are just popping out of the ground.  Eggplant plants have about 4 true leaves.  

We had 2 new calves yesterday.  Bill will add more later about moving cows, fixing fence, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment